Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Stars & More Stars

I must have made at least six star quilts this year, maybe more.  I don't feel like counting them right now, but here is yet another.   And with this I believe I have finally used up all the UFO star blocks!

Forty-two stars, alternating browns and reds
To be honest, I just wanted to get rid of these blocks once and for all and get on with all the other UFOs that are waiting.  Unfortunately, I have more than I thought because while searching for fabrics for the backing of this quilt (see below) I found a large bag of 6" triangles in christmas prints that I must have collected sometime during the Clinton presidency.  I have to say I am NOT a big fan of christmas prints so don't ask me why I collected these; it was a round robin and I'd run out of ideas, let's just say that.  This one is 76 x 85 and the batting is a solid weight Warm & Natural. 

Love this backing!! 
Since I vowed I would not purchase new fabric until my stash is significantly depleted (which will never happen even if I spend every waking moment making quilts for the rest of my life), searching for sufficient yardage for backing is always a challenge and often a pain in the back . . . lifting piles of yardage on and off shelves and lifting heavy plastic tubs.  I was lucky enough to find seven yards of this very attractive, fun fabric that goes perfectly with the top and I love it!!

So I pinned this up yesterday and I ran out of pins!  Consequently, I had to go back over the top and pull out some pins and reposition resulting in a less secure pin-up.  Just hoping it all stays together during the quilting process. 

I hope it is reasonable to believe I will finish one more quilt before 2019 is over.   We shall see!  In the meantime, happy sewing to you!  Be well!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Absolutely love it. If you decide you do not wish to keep it, please let me know. I love the uniformity of the sashing and background fabrics while changing up just the Christmas fabrics. The red fabric in the second photo is glorious and does not read completely Christmas-like. I do think I see a Christmas rose on it but it is gorgeous as is that backing fabric! WOW. Winner all around! Despite my using mostly muslins or solids for backings, you are helping me see the “happy” in using a great fabric on the back. I have never made a quilt with Christmas prints either but this may change my mind. You are just plugging away there.