Friday, February 21, 2020

February Project

102 blocks in seven color ways!
 Remember this?  It has become this:

February project 72" x 72" just needs quilting.
Love all the colors!  This is sort of a charm quit in that each block is made from a different fabric.  What's going to happen to this one?  I have officially run out of room to store all the quilts I'm making so I will have to list some on etsy soon. 

Everybody who sees my quilts says "You could sell these!"  The thing about selling quilts is that you can't really make a profit -- you either charge for materials only or you charge for labor only but not both.  For instance, I spent maybe 10 hours on this and seven yards of fabric (not to mention thread and overhead).  So here's the calculation if I pay myself minimum wage:  (10 * $7.65 = $76.50 labor) + (7 * $10/yd fabric = $70) + batting $12 + thread $3 + overhead $10 = $171.50 minus the listing fee, etsy fee, shipping costs and tax.  So, basically, I would have to round up to $200 to recoup my costs.   And this assumes supplies are all on sale 50% off.  So, where's the profit?  Good thing I'm doing this for recreation.

And good thing I love doing it!  What's up for March?  Not sure yet but it will be something new.  "Ta" and have a swell day!  xoxo


1 comment:

Nancy said...

I think you are selling yourself short, my friend. Maybe try ebay for one or two? Fully machine pieced quilts in Lancaster go for over $800, more if hand quilted.