Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Welcome back Summer!


Thank goodness summer is finally here!  We had a very cold spring, delaying planting the seedlings in the garden.  We will probably not have tomatoes until the end of July.  But that's okay.  We had an extra abundant harvest of greens, chard, and arugula and will have to harvest the beans this week.  Most special, though, was our cherry harvest!  Tuesday I was able to can eight half-pints of cherry jam from cherries grown on our own trees.  It may seem insignificant to some, but it was a magical moment to me.  

Another magical moment came when I finished this tiny scrap quilt.  I save all my scraps in baskets and sew them together in strips 14" long.  They vary in length and width and I usually sew them together as thread-savers.  This is an amazing catalog of the fabrics I have used in my quilts.  The backing is a large 1800s reproduction floral.  I love it!
 
Then there is this Road to California variation that I just finished this morning.  Once I've chosen the backing fabric, this one will be quickly quilted and bound and ready for use.  If you recognize the fabrics, this is made from the little corners cut off the rectangles that made the points in the stars from the Amy Butler stars quilt I finished a couple of months ago.  There are a lot of "mother/daughter" quilts in my collection as I don't seem to be able to throw away the little scraps.  I love this one, which is only 44 x 52, because it is so cheerful.  It makes me happy.  
 
So, once this is done, what will I do?  Frankly, I'm not sure.  I have only one UFO left and it just does not interest me.  I've always wanted to make one of those tops using 2-1/2" strips (jelly rolls).  But one thing is certain:  I will not be buying new fabric.  At this point I am thinking of listing some of my fabrics in my etsy shop.  

It is gratifying to see so many people wearing masks these days.  I love all the wonderful fabrics that people are using.  Personally, it took me a while to realize that putting lipstick on before putting on the mask was sort of useless.  LOL! 

No comments: