Friday, December 29, 2017

A birthday treat!


Thirty years ago, the Queen of QAYG!  $19.95

Who remembers Georgia Bonesteel?  Remember Lap Quilting, something we fondly nicknamed "quilt as you go."   This is her book published in 1987, original price $19.95 plus tax.  Although it's full of wonderful quilt patterns and fabulous photos thereof, I made zero quilts using this book.  Typical.

The other day when I was at the library I found a book by a young author (all the quilting books these days are from young authors; if only there were new ideas) called Quilt as You Go Made Vintage, a follow-up to her previously published Quilt as You Go Made Modern.  Of course, the difference between the "old" 20th century QAYG books and the QAYGMM books is the fabric. 

Oh, there are other differences, too.  The old 20th century books are hardbacks for durability.  Also, the approach is more dignified, scholarly, artistic.  The "modern" books are all about FAST, EASY and focus on the fabrics. And they constantly rename old block patterns . . . all part of the modernizing process or the copyright issues, I dunno. It's all good, though.  I mean, whatever it takes to get people interested in making quilts and buying lots of fabric, right?



This is one of the gifts I got for my birthday this year.  Unfortunately, my camera did not do it justice.  It is a handcrafted seam ripper with a beautiful wooden handle (Indian Rosewood) made by Marlynn Dexter of Kearney, Nebraska.  It was purchased at Bluestem; you might be able to find one at their website.  Marlynn also makes pens using beautiful wood.

And, then, I tell you I got my sewing mojo back today.  I made five blocks with the Kaffe Fasset prints and I hope to continue making more tomorrow.  Stay tuned!  Oh, and stay warm!!  xoxo

No comments: