Sunday, December 31, 2017

BHG American Patchwork & Quilting 1985

I have a large collection of quilt books purchased mostly BTI (before the internet) and I always enjoy browsing through this thirty-two year old volume.  There is now an American Patchwork & Quilting magazine, and I assume that came about after the success of this book. 

It's full of classic patterns, excellent instructions, interesting techniques, and great ideas.  It did inspire a few quilts and I loved making the Ocean Waves picture frames.

This book features some fashions of the times (mutton sleeves, cutter quilt jackets and vests, patchwork skirts), unfortunately reminding me of Ralph Lauren who caused a crisis in the quilting community by starting the trend of cutting up quilts to make fashion. 

What I like the most about this book is the blend of classic and modern and the presentation of techniques that deviate from the classic quilt-making methods.  In the mid-eighties we were redefining "quilt" to include many more artistic versions.  And this was also BTQK (before the quilt kit), so if you wanted to make a quilt you had to go out and find, buy, and cut all your own fabrics BY HAND. 

xoxo