Tuesday, December 26, 2017

So, what happened?

Birds in the Air quilt made back in the 90's.  A classic pattern.
So what happened?  No blogging for almost a year!!  I lost my sewing mojo.  All I have made this past year were a few tote bags and a few other little accessory items.  No quilts.  I blame it on the Kaffe Fasset fabrics.  I hate the I Ching blocks that I made!  I enjoy making classic scrap quilts like the one above.  This quilt actually was not a favored quilt and sat in the basement on the old sofa.  We only used it when there was a tornado warning or when guests came and we vacated the upstairs bedrooms.  This was a basement quilt.  But I found it during one of my "gotta clean up this freaking chaos" moods and it was the perfect storm:  Bhu had just horked up on the upstairs bedroom quilt, so I had to wash it.  I replaced it with this and it remains to this day.  We love it!  Lively, colorful, happy!  THAT is the kind of quilt I want to make.

"So, who's stopping you," you ask?  No one, except me.  I just can't get into it.  I drafted the pattern for this quilt long ago and so I figured I could still draft the pattern from scratch.  When I should have a 9" block, I wound up with a 7" block.  So when I say I lost my sewing mojo, that's part of it.  Apparently, I have also lost my geometry mojo.  God help me I don't lose my checkbook reconciliation mojo!! 

I guess I will keep at it and try drafting the pattern again and stick with it until I get it right (or surrender to modern times and google the pattern).  One of the side effects of losing the sewing mojo is that none of the fabric gets used.  It just sits there collecting dust.  Someone suggested going out and buying a new piece of fabric to "jump start" the mojo; but I've done that several times this year and it don't work, folks.  Just no.  I need no more fabric.

Has this ever happened to you and what did you do or not do that made the difference and got you your sewing mojo back??  

No comments: