Friday, June 14, 2019

70's UFOs

Yesterday I sewed the binding on the large Ohio Star quilt, so that is finished.  Monday I'll be pinning up the daughter of the large Ohio Star quilt and that should be done next week -- quilted and bound and folded up and put in the pile of quilts finished in 2019.  Yay for me! 
Daughter of Ohio Star scheduled for pin-up Monday!
A couple of weeks ago I found more UFOs stuffed in the quilt closet.  I started these back in the late 70's early 80's; I'll be working on these in the next few weeks.  The first one is a native American design and I have no idea where I found this pattern, but it was long ago when there were few quilt books, so I think I probably saw the design on a blanket or a book and drafted the pattern myself.  In any case, it is quite the wonky piece of work!  Most of it is hand sewed but there is also some machine sewing.  At the time I started this, I wasn't well-acquainted with the concept of 1/4" seams.  Uh hmmm.

70's top inspired by Navaho design, I believe.
Needless to say, I have no more of the rust colored fabric, but I do have plenty of the gold, green, and black.  At this point I'm simply going to add a border and let it be.  You can see that center row is quite different.  I mean, really, you'd need a calculator to keep count of all the mistakes made in this one.  Nevertheless, I like it and I'm going to finish it.  Hopefully there won't be too many puckers in the finished quilt!!  Stay tuned for more on this one.

Pioneer Braid that I started in the early 80's.  That's my father's woolen blanket from WWII.
This is one I envisioned would be so cool, but it is a lot harder than I anticipated (which is why it has dawdled in the UFO pile for over 30 years).  Back in the 70's I made a small Pioneer Braid wall hanging and loved it so much I though I would make a bed-sized version.  I had this wonderful woolen blanket that my father had from WWII; I thought it would make a great batting.  It is VERY thick, so we will see how my machine reacts to the quilting chore.  I am working on this one now making a few more braids to fit the width of the blanket.  My plan is to take four fabrics from the stash and sew them directly to the back of the blanket and then sew the braids to the top one by one, overlapping the seams.  No border is planned for this one.  This one has fabrics from the 50's through the present but technically it isn't a "charm" quilt because there are a few repeats -- not many, but that still makes it NOT a charm quilt.  Wish me luck!!

No comments: